Sunday, April 10, 2011

Plus Size Fashion...Extinct?

As you all may know, I am a plus size, full figured gal and although I have insecurities from time to time, I've learned to accentuate what I do have and appreciate myself. Some time last week, I was looking into my drab wardrobe after unpacking all my clothes from the move and felt that I needed a new wardrobe. So I took to the internet for inspiration and realized that I need to dress more "sunny" and "cheery" like. After all, spring is here and summer isn't too far away,  the flowers are blooming with gorgeous colors and I already have to wear dark colors (other than beige and white) to work, so when I don't have to be in uniform, why shouldn't I go glam and sunny?

In my closet right now, I have ONLY solid colors. Before I felt like I couldn't pull off prints because it would make me look bigger; I avoided horizontal stripes and just to be sure, I avoided stripes and polka dots altogether. My closet has a couple of pinks and purples here there but was decorated mostly with blue, silver, and black. Don't get me wrong, the pieces are cute, but after looking through what others had online, I was EMPOWERED and MOTIVATED to do away with just solids and look more towards, bright, fun, and cheery. One thing that I noticed was that a lot of gurus shopped from Forever 21, so since there were 2 new stores opening my area, I decided to hit them up. Around where I live, there are three Forever 21 stores altogether, one in Salinas, a new one in Monterey, and a new one in Gilroy at the famous Gilroy Outlets. 

It was rather disappointing to find out that they did not carry any plus size clothing at the shop in Gilroy, and the Salinas and Monterey storesonly carried a few select items. Items such as capri shorts, sweat shirts, long (hippie like) skirts and some bedazzled shirts. When I was in the Monterey store, I was thinking, "Seriously??? That's all? In this 2 story, at least 5000 square feet building, you have a tiny little section for plus size clothing only and this is it?" I was really really disappointed, and surprisingly embarrassed, and although I wanted to walk out without buying anything, I saw a Hello Kitty (obsessed with her) I Love Nerds sweatshirt that I had to buy so I grabbed it and headed to the lines to check out. I remember being in line and thinking, wow, I sort of feel like the odd girl out, the big chick, the "fat friend" in this store. The only thing they carry in my size are sweats...SWEATS. Was that intentional? Was Forever 21 trying to tell me something? And then I realized, everyone else was in a straight line waiting for the other cashiers to finish and call them to go check out and I was the only person behind a cashier line. I was out of line, so like a fool, I took what felt like a walk of shame and went to go join the long line contemplating if I wanted the shirt badly enough. Interestingly, yes, I've been looking for a Hello Kitty I Love Nerds shirt for awhile...

Soon after I went to the back of the line, one of the managers came out and looked at the long single file line which was now starting to block the entrance doors and shouted "Can everyone please form lines behind each cash register", so of course everyone scrambled. I stayed where I was at and became the second person in line at the register. At that point, I had an epiphany. I wasn't the odd one out, I was actually doing the RIGHT THING. I was the one who did form a line where I was supposed to and then conformed to everyone else because I was second guessing myself. I should've never stepped out of line, and I should've never second guessed myself and felt bad that this store did not carry something other than sweats in my size. I can't believe that I let a store define me and made me feel bad and embarrassed over something so stupid. 

Still I was disappointed that Forever 21 had such limited choices. As I went online to search for new wardrobe, I noticed that there aren't a lot of retailers who sell plus size clothing in a brick and mortar store. Other than Torrid and Lane Bryant, I couldn't think or find any other company, and Google Search didn't help much either. All the sites they took me to were UK based sites that would take awhile to ship over to the States. I came across a couple of stories though that surprised me...First of all, reasons why retailers do not carry plus size clothing in stores? It said, "Plus size women are too embarrassed to go to a store and try on clothes" and "Plus size women feel better when they shop online" and another said "Plus size women don't feel comfortable with the sizes listed on the tags" WTF??? Seriously? I know LOTS and LOTS of plus size women who would PREFER to shop in a brick and mortar store! We'd rather save the shipping and handling cost since we already have to pay the extra $2-$5 for being an extended size. And now, not only do we not have as many as options, news reports are actually labeling us and putting words in our mouths? In these stories, there weren't even any reports of a survey study or anything to support their claims. Another story I found that was quite disappointing was that H&M was coming out with a plus size line BUT it would not be available in their stores AND it would only be available in the UK. Why not in the US? Supposedly (this is not a formal statement from H&M) it is because they don't have eCommerce in the US yet and EVEN THEN, the line is a one-off collection meaning that they will only make a certain amount and once it sells out, THAT'S IT. Also, Old Navy has made it clear that they will only sell plus size clothing on their website and no longer in-store. However, I will sometimes find a few size 16 and 18 here and there, but once again, the choices are rather slim.

Please don't get me wrong and think that I'm just pissed because I couldn't find anything that would fit me (which is not the case because I do have cute clothes that I've purchased before). I am reminded of an episode of Drop Dead Diva where Jane sues a clothing store because they didn't carry a dress she had wanted in her size and Kim tells her, "Poor pitiful Jane is crying because they don't carry a dress in her size". Well, if you watched the episode, you'll know that although it was how it started, the reason why Jane sued was because of the way THEY TREATED her in the store. They treated her thin friend Stacy by offering a smoothie, smiles, and when Jane asked for help, they glared and talked to her with an annoyed expression and tone. I'm not complaining just because these stores don't carry a dress in my size and the employees were nice when I dealt with them, but more of the fact that it is so hard to find decent clothing and then when I go online, I see reports and they have all these false claims, it just ignites my fire even more. I am going to remain hopeful that Forever 21 will bring in some cuter options and that there will be more options at other retailers, AND that news reports will get their information right. Until then, I'll stick to my usual Ross, DD's Discounts, Torrid, Marshall's, and Target. I'm not sure if I want to purchase online yet just because I am a little nervous that the clothes would not fit correctly. But, like I said, I am going to remain hopeful and positive and not just because ASOS Curve has some cute items I might try. :D Sorry for the long rant, but I just had to let it out.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Maya,

    There is a store called Choice Plus at the Salina Northridge mall that is supposed to be pus size clothing. Cute young tendy clothing.

    ReplyDelete